Sunday, December 17, 2006

Symptoms

It's been a while since I've read much about Fibromyalgia. I know I should keep up on the latest research, but I often go through periods of denial. This blog is helping me acknowledge that I do, in fact, have this condition.

So, I began searching the Internet again for links that I can include on my blog. I don't want to add a link though that I haven't thoroughly read myself. Of course, the first thing I come across is a list of symptoms (partial list as a full list would be way to much!)

Here's what they listed and what I have;

Widespread pain - Yep, I have this. It's the oddest, sometimes most disturbing symptom because it's unpredictable. I have my normal, everyday, constant pain (much like the flu), but I've learned to tune that out. It's the shooting pains or infrequent pains in random places such as my left big toe or the knuckle on my middle left finger.

Fatigue and sleep disturbances - I think I talked about this one in a previous post. I definitely have it. Luckily the sleep disturbance isn't as bad as it used to be. I think that's because Alyssa keeps us good and tired. The fatigue is a huge problem. Probably the primary symptom I am trying desperately to curb. I just don't have time for fatigue.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) - Luckily I don't have this often. I usually get it briefly before my menstrual cycle. Kasey and I are fairly good about being sure that I eat bland foods around that time.

Headaches and facial pain - I used to get insane headaches. I was initially diagnosed with Chronic Migraines. I am happy to say that this is not currently one of my symptoms. I'm sure it will return at some point. I haven't had a headache since I stopped working :)

Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction - I don't have this and it's the first time I've seen it on the list. I'm wondering if this was added in the last few years. Something to look forward to!

Heightened sensitivity - I have more than my share of this one. Mostly it's associated with touch (I'm sure Kasey would agree). I don't like others to touch me, it sends a weird and unsettling sensation through my body. It even happens when my kids touch me :( For the most part, I've adapted. I'd love for this one to go away though. I can also be sensitive to sound... I don't like being in noisy situations (Robbie doesn't either).
Other common signs and symptoms include:

Depression - This isn't a regular one for me, but it does happen. Luckily it only lasts a few days when it happens and Kasey is fairly good at snapping me out of it. I think my blog has also helped me a bit.

Numbness or tingling sensations in the hands and feet (paresthesia) - Yep, I have this one too... and often. Most often in my hands... but at night, I can occasionally get it in my feet. Especially when I have back pain, but I think that's more related to my bulging disk than anything.

Difficulty concentrating - Luckily this doesn't happen as often any more. This is the Fibro Fog. I'd say I have this symptom maybe two to three times a month at varying degrees. My worst days, I just stay home. I have found this can be a dangerous symptom.

Mood changes - Hmmm... I'm sure Kasey would have an answer for this. Yes, I have extreme mood swings. I never realized this could be part of Fibromyalgia... I just thought I was having trouble controlling the depression. I think the two are related.

Chest pain - I have this too! Since I stopped working, I get it far less. I used to have this several times a day... now I'd say maybe once a week. Must be related to stress!

Irritable bladder - Yeah! One more symptom that I don't have.

Dry eyes, skin and mouth - I definitely have this. I can't wear contacts. My skin is ALWAYS dry... and I've got dry mouth quite often.

Painful menstrual periods - My periods aren't very painful - however, I do occasionally have periods where I can not wear a tampon due to the pain of wearing it. TMI :)

Dizziness - I've been known to take a dive or two. I get dizzy often at the height of my flare ups.

Anxiety - I'm not sure I get this much. What I've heard about anxiety attacks... they aren't fun.

So, that's the list I got off the Mayoclinic.com website. So far, I like this site. But I haven't read a whole lot of it yet.

No comments: