Monday, December 25, 2006

Resolutions

I don't like to make New Year Resolutions. I figure if something's worth changing, why wait for a new year? Nonetheless, last year I made a resolution - or a commitment - to help Robbie make more friends. I think I did well. I joined a local chat board, we met a few through CL (although I haven't heard from them in several months), and we joined a Co-op preschool. All of these things are far out of my comfort zone.

So, I've decided on a new challenge, this one a bit more difficult... but just as important. When I quit working, I made a commitment to myself to do all that I could to control my Fibromyalgia. These past few years it has taken over again. I felt like we had it under control a few years ago... I was working 30 hours a week while still caring for Robbie full time. Now, I had to quite because I couldn't work 10 hours a week and I have two children to care for.

My plan (if you can call it such) was this;
  • Quit working to minimize my stress
  • Begin an exercise schedule
  • Maintain a healthy diet

In the two or three months that I haven't been working, I have managed to do all these things. I have been cooking more and eating out less - this has resulted in a healthier diet. I quite working and my stress level is greatly reduced - I feel so much happier. And we joined the health club in which I go an average of two three times I week - I'm still hoping to increase that.

Unfortately, I'm not achieving the results I'd like. I'm still having episodes... and today, Christmas Day, was no exception. I woke up this morning feeling as if I could fall right back asleep (even though I was walking around). While opening presents, I had to resist the urge to lay my head down on the floor and take a nap. I had severe pain in my lower back and had to wear a heating pad all day. I finally had to retire to my bed around 5:30 because I could no longer sit up. Of course, now it's 11:00 and I don't feel a bit tired.

So, I have added a few more steps to my plan;

  • Once again, begin reading about Fibromyalgia. It's been several years since I've read anything on the latest research
  • Join a support group. This is going to be the hard one for me... but I've heard it can help.
  • Go organic. I've mentioned this in this blog before, and it's not an easy conversion, but again, I've heard good things about going organic.
  • And finally, document. I have never really kept a record of things I'm doing and with a Fibromyalgia memory, that's probably a bad thing. I'm hoping by recording my trials and tribulations, It will help me discover and remember the things that have worked for me in the past for the various symptoms.

I received a book today from my aunt, The Fibromyalgia Handbook - a 7 Step Program to Halt and Even Reverse Fibromyalgia. I normally disregard anything that says it will reverse Fibromyalgia... because I just don't believe that's possible. I believe you can treat the symptoms and live a pain-free life while still treating symptoms. But I believe that once you stop doing those things, that the Fibromyalgia will return... like a hibernating bear.

But, because I decided a few weeks ago that I need to make these additional efforts, I have already begun reading the book. And it's looking promising. I'm not sure what it will do for me, but I do like that I am learning more than I did before. I guess that's why I stopped researching... I wasn't learning anything new.

So, my newest resolution is now in full swing. I'm hoping I'm as successful with this one as I was with my previous.

No comments: